Renée Baker recognized for leadership at work and in her community
Renée Baker, DBA, Raymond James, has been selected as recipient of the FCS Jamie E. DePeau Leadership Award for 2020. The annual award will be presented at a virtual awards ceremony on December 9th at 5:30pm ET, when the FCS also celebrates FCS Financial Marketer of the Year Award for 2020; finalists include E*TRADE Financial, New York Life, and State Street Global Advisors.
FCS Jamie E. DePeau Leadership Award seeks to recognize an individual who, through personal and professional contributions to his/her community, serves as a living example of the selfless, inspirational leadership that Jamie DePeau embodied during her career.
- The Award honors an FCS member whose leadership inspires and educates others to think big, to break down barriers, and to perform at their highest potential.
Having worked at such brands as J.P. Morgan Asset Management, OppenheimerFunds and Aberdeen, Renée is a veteran financial marketer who took her career to Florida to take on the role of CMO for Carillon Tower Advisers in 2017. In 2019, she was chosen by Raymond James to become Head of its PCG Advisor Inclusion Networks, where her leadership has had dramatic impact on the company and the wealth management industry overall. Committed to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion issues, Renée is passionate about improving social justice and is actively driving the development of programs and initiatives at her firm and in her community to address inequity.
- As a Community Action Stops Abuse (CASA) board member, Renée focuses on ending domestic violence in Florida and her local community. Through CASA, she also helped to stand up a scholarship fund for college students interested in social justice careers in the local community.
- As a Professor at the University of South Florida, Renée shares her marketing acumen while serving as a personal mentor to many students helping them start their careers. When the pandemic began, Renée would mentor students to help them find job opportunities and position themselves to stand out to potential employers.
- Renée is a mentor for Raymond James' Women’s Inclusion Network, their Emerge Network, and their associate inclusion network for young professionals and is a leader of their MOSAIC network for multi-generational associates, and is generous with her time and support and involvement for the advisor and associate networks.
- Renée has been a significant driver in Raymond James' firm’s Commitment to the Black Community and has helped the firm launch several coaching programs for women and black advisors.
- Renée is leading the Diversity Equity and Inclusion Steering Committee at American Stage to help address racial inequity in the theatre community, including increasing representation in the organization and growing access to the theater for underrepresented communities.
- As past board director of the FCS, Renée was instrumental in launching our Philadelphia chapter, and she remains engaged with us today as an advisor to our new Diversity & Inclusion Steering Committee.
Renée embodies the attributes and spirit that Jamie DePeau valued. When she worked in Philadelphia and helped build FCS's presence there, Renée saw Jamie in action and was influenced by Jamie's dynamic presence and ability to touch others. Like Jamie, Renée has an extraordinary personality and sense of humor.
In 2016, the inaugural year of the Award, the recipient was Berta Aldrich, CMO of FS Investments. In 2017, Caroline O'Connell, CMO, Investments, BNY Mellon, was recognized with the Award, followed by David Bernstein in 2018 for his volunteerism and personal mission in founding the Fly A Kite Foundation with his wife Deena. Last year Russ Findlay, CMO of Hiscox, was our honoree, in acknowledge of his career as a marketer, leader, mentor, and architecht of The Findlay Family Foundation, which provides college scholarships to high school seniors facing financial need.
Questions about the Award or the virtual ceremony should be directed to FCS CEO Kevin Windorf.
About Jamie E. DePeau
Jamie DePeau, Corporate Chief Marketing Officer, Lincoln Financial Group, was a true friend of the FCS and very supportive of our mission of community, education and philanthropy. She was an active member in the FCS Marketing Leadership Roundtable since its founding in 2012. That year, she participated in our Annual Education Summit, serving on a panel with fellow CMOs. In 2013, she served as one of our guest presenters at the 19th Annual FCS Portfolio Awards. When she was SVP, Marketing at TIAA-CREF, she presented at our monthly luncheon at the New York Yacht Club in December of 2007.
Jamie passed away in February of 2016. In April of that year, her work at Lincoln was recognized posthumously as her marketing team and their agency won seven trophies of the 22nd Annual FCS Portfolio Awards. In addition to her own participation, Jamie encouraged her Lincoln colleagues to get involved with the FCS.
Outside of work, Jamie was very active at her community church, where she held senior roles in the parish’s lay leadership, as well as performing in its choir. She was a volunteer for the Ridgewood Baseball and Softball Association and for other Ridgewood youth sports groups.
In addition to her roles as mother and wife, boss and colleague, Jamie is remembered as a mentor and friend, and always a leader.
Renée Baker was nominated by Kelly Thiel, Senior Relationship Manager, Advisor Inclusion Networks, Raymond James. Renée was selected by a panel of four judges, who represent several facets of Jamie DePeau’s personal and professional life. The judging panel included:
- Berta Aldrich, Chief Marketing and Human Resources Officer, Private Advisor Group, author of "Winning the Talent Shift: Three Steps to Unleashing the New High Performance Workplace"
- Elena French, Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications, Lincoln Financial Group
- Tom Jago, FCS Board of Directors, Vice Chair; The Ward Group
- Kevin Windorf, FCS CEO; Living Group
Get updates on FCS
Subscribe to get the latest news and event updates