Caleb Silver recognized for leadership at Investopedia and his volunteering and mentorship
The FCS created the Jamie E. DePeau Leadership Award to recognize an FCS member whose performance as a leader, in and beyond the workplace, has a transformative impact.
Caleb Silver, Editor-in-Chief for Investopedia, has been selected as the 2021 recipient of the FCS Jamie E. DePeau Leadership Award. Nominated by Katherine Divney, Chief Revenue Officer, Dotdash, Caleb was selected by a panel of five judges, who represent several facets of Jamie DePeau’s personal and professional life.
Caleb Silver is the Editor-in-Chief of Investopedia and host of The Express podcast, a weekly investing and business news show covering the stories that move markets. He began his career at Bloomberg as a senior television producer and was nominated for a 2003 Emmy Award. He then worked at CNN as a Senior Producer on The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, the Executive Producer of CNNMoney.com, and the Director of US business news at CNN. Caleb is frequently featured as a markets, economic and consumer trends expert on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, Fox Business and ABC Radio.
On air, Caleb digs into the most important stories in finance and global economics, sharing his decades-worth of industry knowledge with everyday listeners and breaking down the news that surrounds the current market to create an accessible and inviting listen around a frequently intimidating topic. He is consistently thinking of ways to improve Investopedia’s content, coming up with innovative ways to further the brand’s mission of helping people understand and navigate the often complex world of finance. Aside from his projects, Caleb is known to his teammates for being a passionate, resourceful leader and mentor who is always eager to share advice with team members and help them move forward in their careers.
- For the past two years, Caleb has been a partner with Project Come Up, a nonprofit which focuses on fostering growth among the disenfranchised and increasing the financial literacy of young people of color. Project Come Up provides educational platforms and investment opportunities for underrepresented minority communities with the goal for its mentees to overcome systemic barriers. Caleb has also served as a mentor for several of the students in the program, teaching them the basics of money, debit and credit and acting as a resource and sounding board for any questions they may have.
- Caleb is also a partner/sponsor with Wall Street Bound, an organization which aims to increase diversity in the financial industry. Caleb strongly supports the organization’s mission that diverse people, ideas, and backgrounds on Wall Street leads to positive change and growth. Caleb recruited several of his Investopedia colleagues to join him in hosting varios training webinars with Wall Street Bound.
- Caleb is President of the Society for Advancing Business Editing & Writing (SABEW), which he joined in 2016. Caleb and SABEW are dedicated to developing the next generation of business journalists and have partnered with the Denver-based National Endowment for Financial Education to put on workshops for college students studying journalism to learn the best practices of reporting on economic topics.
Caleb joins a distinguished list of leaders among FCS members who have been honored in the past. In 2016, the inaugural year of the Award, the recipient was Berta Aldrich, then CMO of FS Investments. In 2017, Caroline O'Connell was recognized with the Award when she was CMO, Investments, BNY Mellon. David Bernstein was honor the following year for his volunteerism and personal mission in founding the Fly A Kite Foundation with his wife Deena. In 2019 Russ Findlay was our honoree in acknowledgement of his career as a marketer, leader, mentor, and architect of The Findlay Family Foundation, which provides college scholarships to high school seniors facing financial need. Last year, former FCS Board Director Renée Baker of Raymond James was honored for her leadership and commitment to increasing the representation of underserved communities within the financial services industry.
Questions about the Award should be directed to FCS CEO Kevin Windorf.
Caleb was honored with the award at a gala dinner event on December 1, 2021 at the New York Yacht Club. The gala also served as the FCS Financial Marketer of the Year Award celebration.
The judging panel included:
- Berta Aldrich, Inaugural Recipient of the FCS Jamie E. DePeau Leadership Award; author of "Winning the Talent Shift: Three Steps to Unleashing the New High Performance Workplace"
- Renée Baker, 2020 Recipient of the FCS Jamie E. DePeau Leadership Award; Head of Private Client Group Advisor Inclusion Networks, Raymond James
- Elena French, SVP, Corporate Marketing, Communications and Brand, Lincoln Financial
- Tom Jago, Managing Director, The Ward Group
- Kevin Windorf, CEO, FCS
About Jamie E. DePeau
Jamie DePeau, Corporate Chief Marketing Officer, Lincoln Financial Group, was a true friend of the FCS and very supportive of our mission of community, education and philanthropy. She was an active member in the FCS Marketing Leadership Roundtable since its founding in 2012. That year, she participated in our Annual Education Summit, serving on a panel with fellow CMOs. In 2013, she served as one of our guest presenters at the 19th Annual FCS Portfolio Awards. When she was SVP, Marketing at TIAA-CREF, she presented at our monthly luncheon at the New York Yacht Club in December of 2007.
Jamie passed away in February of 2016. In April of that year, her work at Lincoln was recognized posthumously as her marketing team and their agency won seven trophies of the 22nd Annual FCS Portfolio Awards. In addition to her own participation, Jamie encouraged her Lincoln colleagues to get involved with the FCS.
Outside of work, Jamie was very active at her community church, where she held senior roles in the parish’s lay leadership, as well as performing in its choir. She was a volunteer for the Ridgewood Baseball and Softball Association and for other Ridgewood youth sports groups.
In addition to her roles as mother and wife, boss and colleague, Jamie is remembered as a mentor and friend, and always a leader.
Get updates on FCS
Subscribe to get the latest news and event updates