Cigna: Executive Speechwriter Financial Communications, Media Relations Officer/Principal
Cigna is looking to add a member to their Corporate Communications team who is a proven leader within financial communications. The individual in this role will partner closely with the Investor Relations function and will be skilled at using creative, integrated business and financial communications strategies, provide proactive strategic consultation, and will be responsible for tactical delivery.
This qualified candidate will support messaging and be responsible for financial communications execution across modalities such as executive speeches, presentations, press releases, annual reports, and filings. The role will also maintain or develop media relationships with financial and business outlets, regularly monitor issues affecting the investor community, and pitch financial and business stories.
The candidate should be a creative problem-solver with an affinity for details and media handling skills. A background in financial communications, proven experience deploying digital communications in support of financial/business narratives and strong management skills is necessary. In addition, a strong work ethic and collaborative leadership approach are critical.
- Devise and execute communications plans, media strategies and press materials that enhances Cigna’s reputation with key financial press, and ultimately investor and analyst community.
- Serve as a principal financial writer for senior management (speeches, briefings, articles, etc.)
- Secure and lead relevant media and speaking opportunities to drive executive visibility, company recognition and thought leadership.
- Develop messaging and talking points for spokespeople, including media interviews and speaking opportunities at industry conferences and events.
- Build and maintain strong media relationships with trade and best-in-class financial press.
- Build and execute communications calendar that aligns launches, initiatives and corporate breakthroughs with PR opportunities.
- Manage interactions and communications with key financial reporters and outlets; maintain strong top-tier financial and business reporter relationships.
- Lead and oversee proactive and reactive external communications efforts targeting audiences such as top-tier, business, trade and consumer media, influencers, analysts, investors, buyers, agents, and industry and business partners.
- Collaborate with Investor Relations and CEO Communications teams on financial communication efforts and plans (earnings, investor days, external investment conference, etc.).
- Ensure all communications and materials are consistent with the brand and culture.
- Monitor and evaluate results of communications programs, using specific metrics to track progress and insights for continuous improvement.
Ideal candidates will offer:
- 12-15+ years of investor or financial communications and media experience, preferably in global corporations.
- Experience developing financial communications, including writing complex financial speeches. Samples will be required for interviewing candidates.
- Comfort and competence in interacting with C-level executives.
- Deep understanding of and advanced experience in managing and handling direct interactions with a broad range of media and other external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in communications, journalism, finance, business, or related discipline.
- Enthusiastic and passionate teammate with ability to exercise independence
- Adept at leading a variety of projects and tasks to completion. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while remaining steadfast around details and committed to deadlines
- Creative and strategic problem solver. Exercise good judgement
- Strong project-management and problem-solving skills
- Possess a “roll-up your sleeves,” get-it-done mentality. Ability to develop partnerships and relationships internally and externally
- Tech-savvy with an understanding of combining traditional financial communications strategies & tactics with ground breaking integrated channels, including the use of social/digital media.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. We offer an integrated suite of health services through Cigna, Express Scripts, and our affiliates including medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products. Together, with our 74,000 employees worldwide, we aspire to transform health services, making them more affordable and accessible to millions. Through our unmatched expertise, bold action, fresh ideas and an unwavering commitment to patient-centered care, we are a force of health services innovation.
When you work with Cigna, you’ll enjoy meaningful career experiences that enrich people’s lives while working together to make the world a healthier place. What difference will you make? To see our culture in action, search #TeamCigna on Instagram.
We are competitive on compensation and offer a long runway for growth internally. We offer nationwide flexibility on location particularly if the incumbent can travel occasionally to our headquarters. A job description can be found at the link below, and you can apply there or send your resume directly to [email protected] for immediate consideration.