Dotdash: Economics Editor
About Your Role
As Economics Editor, you will lead our efforts to create and maintain the best content covering public policy and economic conditions in the United States.
Every day, hundreds of thousands of people rely on The Balance to make financial decisions, and what’s going on in the economy strongly affects how people choose to use their money. You will be responsible for making sure we have the most thorough, reliable, and insightful economics content to educate and empower readers so they can take the next step, whatever it is. You will do this by managing the editorial processes around improving existing content on the site, creating new content, and helping create and maintain the platforms where this content lives on The Balance.
The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of economic theory and policy, a firm grasp of SEO best practices, a strong background in editing copy to create comprehensive, clear articles.
As a finance publisher that reaches 13 million people each month, we have the power and responsibility to create positive change. Please read our Anti-Racism Pledge as part of considering your interest in this role.
As part of our commitment, we are focusing our hiring efforts on diversity, equity, and inclusion to build a team that reflects our mission for racial equity in everything we do. This role is a full-time role that is currently remote but will be based in NYC.
About Your Contributions
- Work with the Editorial Director to shape editorial strategy around economics to deliver the highest quality content in the category.
- Oversee creation, improvement, and maintenance of thousands of relevant pieces of content.
- Identify opportunities to enhance written content with visual assets and interactive products
- Coordinate a team of freelance subject-matter experts and editors in tackling editorial projects.
- Function as our in-house subject-matter expert for all things economics related.
- Stay on top of trends and economic developments to make sure our coverage is always up to date.
- 5+ years of experience publishing economics/news content.
- Strong editorial skills and keen sense of how to develop content that serves a targeted reader need.
- Demonstrated experience working with freelance editors and writers to create great content at scale.
- Excellent project management skills, attention to detail, ability to multitask, and verbal/written communication skills.
- Scrappy problem-solving skills that enable you to quickly address challenges impeding your roadmap.
- Strong desire to help make people smarter in their financial lives.
Dotdash's vibrant brands help over 100 million users each month find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. Dotdash is among the largest and fastest growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday's 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a [email protected] account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to [email protected]
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.